Tuesday, October 4rth, 2011
It's 4:30 am on the dawn of my 51rst birthday and I've already received two gifts. The first, (and without hurting another person's feelings, the best!) is this blog. We've talked about doing this for awhile now. In Heimer language, "awhile" means we come up with an idea, then go back to our corners of the world and make ourselves busy with daily things, letting the idea fade away until the next time we see each other or talk. And sometimes "next time" means a really, really long time. So thank you Katie. Not just for your kind words but for actually making an idea into a project. I can't tell you how stoked I am to do this with you.
A large coyote sauntered through my parking lot this morning. The cat and I both got a pretty good look from the window as I set my coffee down on the desk to write. He is the biggest one I've seen since they moved into the woods next to me. I opened my front door to get a better look and there was a gift from my friend/neighbor on the stoop. She wrote a really nice card about my journey the past year (she's got this earthy vibe I covet) and included a candle in the shape of an owl. A few years ago I decided the owl must be my 'animal'. Now I am not so sure, maybe it's supposed to be a coyote. Marcie would know. (Hers is the turtle.) She can remember events in her life where things happened right after she saw a turtle. Maybe I just like the story so much that I WANT an animal, I am not really sure. Either way, I'd like to expect a shift in life today and will remember the image of the large coyote or the candle owl. (Ok, do things made out of wax and shaped like animals really count? I really don't know.) Birthdays are fresh starts, good days to think about the changes that can be made while I am busy gripping the handlebars (now a little rusty because I've been gripping tightly for many, many years). There is peace, though, as well. Today I am simply going to focus on getting ready for another 365 day ride around the sun.
I wonder if I can have two animals. Is that selfish?
.

No comments:
Post a Comment