Thursday, July 26, 2012

Leaning Toward the Light


"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit."

I am thankful for being reminded of the things I cherish and the people to lean toward for growth, like plants leaning toward the sun. I am the kind of person who tends to shut down and can't find her way out of a dark place after she's been there too long. Spending day after day working long hours and going weeks without a day off make me overtired and blind to the things that inspire me, things that remind me what to do when I do get a day to myself. One conversation with a sister who has inspired me my whole life, and has been the light I lean toward reminded me that there must be equal time spent as the light itself. Everything must remain balanced and circulating to keep upright and breathing. So I have been trying harder to take the time I have and use it to maintain balance. And the first step is resetting the scales that have lain abandoned in my chest; to dust them off and start to equalize. 
So I must remember that it is important to spend a day blowing off errands to walk along the river at the dog park and spend the day making new, sand-spackled friends; to write a letter to family a continent away - something I haven't done in years; to start writing a short story - something I've never really tried; to follow up a tearful breakdown about my continued presence here instead of Out in the World with a conversation with North Carolina connections about job opportunities Someplace Different; to embrace a friend that bullies me every other day to go on a photo walk with her; to take it one day at a time and figure out my "five-minute action that will make tomorrow better."
J - Even when you aren't trying, you remain the single most inspiring force in my life. I will never stop being grateful, only I hope to be far less silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment